Watch Me Take The Bar
Watch Me Take The Bar
This blog, originally started as a chronicle of my taking the bar, is now a look into the mind of an attorney in solo practice in Port Clinton, Ohio.
Monday, December 26, 2005

Michael's New Years Resolution

I don't do New Years' resolutions.

Why? 'Cause I generally don't follow them. And, were I to come up with a good one, it would probably involve taking time to do something I know I should do but don't have the time/energy/motivation/desire to do, or discontinuing the doing of something I know I shouldn't do but don't have the willpower/motivation to give up.

The last New Years' resolution I made was when I was three years old. No more walking backwards.

Probably not a bad resolution. You'd understand this more if you'd ever seen me try to walk forward.

Anyway, for 2006, I'm making a resolution.

I am going to try to make at least one new, healthy recipe per week.

Good food is one of my passions. I love things that taste good. Maybe it's the grocery heritage, maybe it's because food is a natural way of gathering people together (although generally I prefer one or two close friends than having some huge, impersonal party), maybe I just naturally like palate pleasing things and that's as much of an explanation as I can give you.

Anyway, I've always enjoyed culinary delights. And was never given much credit for being any good in the kitchen, even though that was more because I didn't go into the kitchen much than any horrible experiences.

So, once I got to law school and had an apartment with an actual kitchen, I decided to try my hand at the culinary arts.

And found I was able to cook.

My interest in cooking has not waned -- in fact, if anything, it's increased since the bar exam. I don't know if this is accurate, but my theory is that I want to feel like I'm learning some new skill even though I'm no longer in school. So, perhaps I'm channeling my desire for new knowledge into cooking. Who knows?

But I've noticed a disturbing trend.

The recipes I know, while tasty, are also not terribly good for you.

My favorite pasta sauce involves cream and Parmesean cheese. And I'm not stingy with the cheese.

I recently made beef Stroganoff. Sour cream, anyone?

I've been known to buy two cans of french fried onions when the green bean casserole only calls for one.

And my cheesy potato casserole, while delicious is, well, cheesy.

Ditto for the macaroni/cheese/corn casserole. (I am actually going to make that sometime soon for Laura, since she bought me the cookbook I learned it out of.)

Now, any of these in moderation is fine. If it were, like, one or two meals a week, that would be great.

The problem is that these are the main meals I know how to cook. And when I'm not eating those, I'm doing something like takeout or pizza or a frozen dinner.

Yeah, lots of nutritional value there.

And I know that when I eat healthy, I do feel better.

Plus, I happen to live near Bassett's Market, which is home to a very nice organic foods section. So, I should probably become acqauinted with that.

Anywho. One new, healthy recipe a week. (I found a great site for them: Foodfit.com. No, they aren't paying me to advertise.)

Those I like, I'll keep. I'll even post 'em.

Those I don't like, at least I'll have tried.

And I'll have learned something.

It's a good idea. I'm glad I thought of it.




Archives
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com

Listed on BlogShares