Watch Me Take The Bar
Watch Me Take The Bar
This blog, originally started as a chronicle of my taking the bar, is now a look into the mind of an attorney in solo practice in Port Clinton, Ohio.
Wednesday, June 15, 2005

In Which The King of the Road Decides To Kill All The Lawyers

This was going to be a somewhat-philosophical post on the nature of law and law school; and that will come sometime this week; but I slipped a CD into my CD player and the way my brain operated when the song started playing indicated I am severly disturbed. (Such fact is not to be inferred by the fact I'm listening to "King of the Road.")

Trailer for sale or rent

Is this an offer? Probably not; not enough definite terms.

Rooms to let, fifty cents.

This sounds more like it; price is stated, as are the terms.

No phone, no pool no pets
Ain't got no cigarettes

Ah, but two hours of pushin' broom
Buys an eight-by-twelve four-bit room

Ah, now that last stanza there might just be a unilateral offer! It's not good enough to say, "I promise to push broom for the eight-by-twelve four-bit room," you have to actually push the broom to accept the offer. Perhaps.

I'm a man of means by no means,

This could be grounds for insecurity upon which a merchant might demand reassurance from a seller under the Uniform Commercial Code.

King of the road.

Third boxcar, midnight train.
Destination, Bangor, Maine.

Old worn out suit and shoes,
I don't pay no union dues.

I smoke, old stogies I have found

Possible issue of lost property. What is the statute on it in Maine?

Short, but not too big around
I'm a man of means by no means
King of the Road.

I know every engine on every train

On the weight of this statement, King of the Road will be unsuccessful in arguing he was surprised when the 7:05 to Bangor was three minutes late.

All of the chillun
And all of their names

People like you are supposed to register at the Sheriff's office, I believe.

And every handout in every town
And every lock that ain't locked when no one's around

Which knowledge could be useful in a career as a repo man, since today, Professor Michael Sabbath told us that in breach of the peace, you have to threaten violence. If, as the King infers, these locks ain't locked when no one's around, no breach of the peace will occur, and the goods may be able to be repoed, although courts tend to frown on breaking and entering to repo goods.

I'm sure it will come as a surprise to you all that I had a Secured Transactions lecture today and spent the rest of the time studying Contracts.

I will also say that, every now and then, I think someone Up There sends you a little memo to quit complaining. I was waiting for a lecture to start today and chatting with my friend Shelby, who yawned and mentioned that "the girls were up at 6:30." By "the girls," Shelby, who is studying for the selfsame bar exam I am, was referring to her twins, who are not more than a year and a half old.

I really don't have it that rough.

I just would like to believe I'll someday listen to King of the Road again without having flashbacks to Contracts.




Archives
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com

Listed on BlogShares