Watch Me Take The Bar
Watch Me Take The Bar
This blog, originally started as a chronicle of my taking the bar, is now a look into the mind of an attorney in solo practice in Port Clinton, Ohio.
Friday, January 13, 2006

Alittle on Alito

I was getting my oil changed the other day (more accurately, my car's oil), and sitting in the waiting room watching the Alito hearings. In walked a fellow about my age who sat down, looked at the TV, and said, "Isn't this ridiculous? All the guy wants is to do a job and do it well, and they're asking him all these questions. Like it really matters."

I wish I'd have known where his car was, so I could have checked for the W04 sticker.

***

Yesterday, when I tuned in briefly to CSPAN, I caught some of Russ Feingold's questioning of Alito, and he was asking if the fact fellow judges of Alito were coming to testify in Alito's behalf would mean Alito would have to recuse himself from hearing cases of theirs appealed. Feingold asked Alito how he would analyze a recusal motion. Alito said he'd never thought of it.

I found that vaguely disturbing. (Although I'm not sure I agree with Feingold, I wish it would have run through Alito's head, at least.)

***

Completely different subject: Last night on the History Channel, I found a show that I thought was quite interesting called "Declassified." They talk about documents kept secret by the government and what they reveal.

I thought it was interesting because they were talking about John Lennon, who I've always enjoyed hearing about. But I also had to admit to myself that part of why I liked the show was that it reminded me of public records law and some of the arguments that go into it. (I have a friend who refers to me as the "Public Records Nazi.")

And people wonder why I don't get out more.




Archives
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com

Listed on BlogShares