Watch Me Take The Bar
Watch Me Take The Bar
This blog, originally started as a chronicle of my taking the bar, is now a look into the mind of an attorney in solo practice in Port Clinton, Ohio.
Saturday, September 10, 2005

Scenes from a grocery store + responses to correspondents

Every now and then, you run into someone who makes you stop and say, "What the hell are you complaining about, anyway?"

One of those people showed up last night.

It was 7:45. Understand that by now, I'd done 20 interviews (literally.) My last had finished around 7:20, and I had stepped into my office to call Anonymous, who I hadn't talked to in quite a while. I'd briefly been on the phone with her, when Barb, the greeter, stepped into my office. Knowing I'd been doing this ALL DAY, she said, "This is your last one!" I told Anonymous I'd have to go.

Well, apparently, we saved the most inspiring for last. This girl is recently relocated to the area from Mississippi.

You see where this is going.

Everything's gone.

Her house.

Her car.

Anything she didn't pack for a two-night stay in a hotel.

I asked her if she had people she hadn't heard from. Lots.

She was to be a freshman this year. She wants to be a paralegal, and then a lawyer. (Don't worry, fellow baristas, at some point, I'll try to explain to her she's suffered enough.)

The University of Toledo gave her a full ride.

Now, I would have hired this girl anyway. She was pleasant, well-turned-out, friendly. The kind of person we want at Bassett's Market.

As it turns out, we've hired all our cashiers. She's going to be a day carryout for us, with a recommendation -- a strong recommendation -- that as soon as we need another cashier, she gets the bump.

And here's the thing.

She wasn't complaining.

She didn't want self-pity.

She wants to come and work and then get a paycheck from us.

That's all.

She was on Channel 13 last night, I was told, with UT.

Anyway, it was pretty inspiring.

***

I've been printing nametags, and I'm sorry, there is no sweeter word in the grocery business to me than "Carryout."

Now, this is a little worrisome. I admit to growing slightly obsessed with whether our customers are walking their own bags a few yards to their cars or we have someone else doing it, but I think it's indicative of the kind of service we want to provide.

It's also worrisome because "Carryout" isn't, strictly speaking, a word. And yet, it's so awesome. How many people have a job title that is actually a verb? I mean, we have corruptions of verbs (a waiter waits on you/a driver drives/a bell hop...well, I never quite got that one.) But we don't have "carryouters." That's because it's simple. Just "carryout."

(Hey, if you'd spent the summer obsessed over "constructive conditions of exchange," "bank statement rule," and other such nonsense, carryouts would be a good thing to be thinking about.)

***

Some answers to commentors

Tracy: I try to be easy on kids who haven't had a job before, but they could at least meet me, perhaps, a quarter of the way? Like, look me in the eye? Smile? I get some great ones, but I get some who need to get with an interviewing coach. (This does not just apply to high school kids, but everyone.)

TSC Girl: Your description of grocery shopping in New Jersey does not make me eager to visit.
Laura: Yeah, yeah, I know. This week is kinda hellish. Next week's going to be slightly, and I mean, slightly, better.

Michelle: Yeah, it occurred to me various times I need to finish the conversation with you again. But both you and Laura are assuming you WANT to talk to me in that state. I'm not sure that's accurate.

Anonymous, commenting on my Ohio State post: Ohhhhhhhhhm, we don't give a damn for the whole state of Michigan! whole state of Michigan! whole state of Michigan! We don't give a damn for the whole state of Michigan. We're from O-hi-o.

We're from O-hi-o.

O! H!

We're from O-hi-o.

I! Ohhhhhhhh....we don't give a damn for the whole state of Michigan, the whole state of Michigan, the whole state of Michigan. We don't give a damn for the whole state of Michigan. We're from Ohio.

(And, we WILL mess with Texas this evening.)

Tracy (in reference to your question about "who bags" with carryouts): I hire really special carryouts...namely, carryouts who also bag groceries. :)




Archives
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com

Listed on BlogShares