Watch Me Take The Bar
Watch Me Take The Bar
This blog, originally started as a chronicle of my taking the bar, is now a look into the mind of an attorney in solo practice in Port Clinton, Ohio.
Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Oh, God. (R-47 hours...I think...)

Anonymous [who is not Anonymous of the SUDL] writes:
At your secret location to get your results, are you calling or going on-line? They say the website is terrible and nothing loads until about or after 8a. Calling seems pretty bad too though. Ohio is mean.

Well, I didn't realize that.

My plan had been to just go online and keep hitting CTRL-R until the results loaded. We were told on the last day of the bar exam that they would be up between seven and seven-thirty. So, I've just called it 7:15 and been counting down that way.

Please tell me that Marcia Mengel, the voice of the Ohio bar exam, didn't lie to me. I can't take a shock to my system like that. Not this week.

OK, so, I could call. I was given two numbers on the day of the bar exam, which I have to find. Yeah, that's a recipe for success. Take two phone numbers (probably representing, what, MAYBE eight people answering phone lines? If we're lucky?), add 1,500 people calling nervously and hitting redial. Oh, that will be GREAT.

I thought we passed this mark. It used to be ALL you could do was call, and listen to busy signals and busy signals and busy signals and go bleeping nuts until you found out.

Then, with the Internet, I thought, the busy signal was eliminated. Between 7 and 7:30, DAMMIT.

Now I might have to call.

I don't want to call. I really don't want to have to call.

Because if I have to call, I'll be on my cel phone and have Anonymous of the SUDL on her phone redialing and redialing till we get through.

And then Anonymous of the SUDL may have to get through and find out. And I don't want her to have to deliver bad news if it is bad news.

And I don't even want to have to try to ask someone or speak when I finally get through.

I WANNA HIT THE FREAKIN' REFRESH BUTTON ON MY COMPUTER AND JUST FIND OUT WHETHER OR NOT I PASSED THE DAGGONE BAR EXAM. IS THAT TOO FREAKING MUCH TO ASK?

(Eve, if you're wondering, this is what an MMD Michael style looks like.)

And, by the way, I keep meaning to mention this, and saving it for another post, and another post, but here's a big objection I have.

THE LIST IS PROBABLY, BY THIS POINT, DONE.

AND IF IT ISN'T, IT'S GOING TO BE DONE BY, SAY, TOMORROW AT 7 PM?

It's not like someone's out there, late grading papers, right? I mean, that's probably been done, by, say, two, three weeks ago? Then they had to figure out the scale with the MBE (I still suspect there was a random number generator used in the equation.) Then they had to add it all together and correspond numbers to names.

It was probably done on Monday. Maybe even before that. But let's give 'em the benefit of the doubt and say they're burning the midnight oil at the Supreme Court. They WILL have it done by tomorrow night at 7.

And then, there's twelve (or thirteen) hours, where THEY know if I passed, but they don't tell US.

"Yes, these people have gone through seven years of formal education. They need one more sleepness, anxious, worrisome night!"

See, that twelve hours between 7 PM tomorrow and 7 AM Friday? That's called sadism.

I mean, someone out there will know by then. They'll either be saying, "Wow...Michael snuck by," or, "Heh, he couldn't even be in the top seventy percent of Ohio lawyers."

So, what I'm saying is, I HAVE A REAL HONKING PROBLEM WITH THE FACT THEY WILL HAVE EVERYTHING COMPILED AND THEN SIT ON IT UNTIL THEY RELEASE IT. IN ALL LIKELIHOOD, IT'S COMPILED NOW, AND UNDER LOCK AND KEY, SO I CAN SIT HERE AND MELT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE WHOLE WORLD.

Oh, and the other thing about calling?

Remember my calling rant?

You know, like, ten minutes ago?

When I started at the beginning of this post?

Yeah, to finish this story.

I have a friend named Szcezny. (I may have spelled his name wrong, and for that, I apologize.)

He calls the Supreme Court on the Appointed Day at the Appointed Time. (And come to think of it, they had the Internet posting thing at that point.)

"Hi," he says, "my name is Dan Szczeny. S-Z-C-Z-E-N-Y."

"Hang on," the clerk says. Puts Dan on hold.
















A minute or so passes.































Imagine how poor Dan feels.























The clerk comes back on.


















He hears a breath.


















"I'm sorry," she says.





























"How do you spell your last name?"

(Dan passed, by the way.)

Good grief.

I'm still, I think, glad that I have some control over what I'm doing when I find out.

I wouldn't want to just find out at work or whatever.

So, they'll have a great time dealing with Michael at work today, eh?

Eeeeeeegh.

Well, now, since I started this, we're down to 46 1/2 hours.

I think.




Archives
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com

Listed on BlogShares