Watch Me Take The Bar
Watch Me Take The Bar
This blog, originally started as a chronicle of my taking the bar, is now a look into the mind of an attorney in solo practice in Port Clinton, Ohio.
Saturday, January 28, 2006

Saturday stuff

OK, so, the head of the Abramoff investigation just got appointed to a federal judgeship, which means he has to step down from being the chief prosecutor on Abramoff immediately.

Anyone have a pblem with this? Anyone?

I mean, W, I know we reelected you last year, but we aren't dumb. We do understand what's going on.

***

My condo overlooks a harbor, and I'm on the "porch" right now (unfortunately, since it's the only place where my so-called "wireless connection" works...) About half of the harbor is water, the other half is ice that is dissolving rather quickly. It's fascinating to watch.

***

Could someone please pass a note to John Kerry that he's not going to be President of the United States? That ship has sailed. So he could stop trying.

***

I will say it was a cheap shot for the White House to claim Kerry was calling for a filibuster of Alito from the "slopes of the Swiss alps" at a five-star ski resort. Even they knew perfectly well he was at the World Economic Forum in Davos.

***

Being able to use your law license to fight for causes you are passionate about is awesome. I love being a lawyer.

***

Being paid for same is also a good thing. I love being a lawyer.

***

A friend of mine talks about "moments of grace." I had one the other day. I kept expecting one of these to come along after getting through the bar, being sworn in, getting my license, and having something click to go, "Wow...you did it." And I had a great number of those emotions but no sort of "Eureka!" moment. Which sort of surprised me.

Our court of common pleas uses a computerized docket system to keep track of the status of cases. The other day, I had occasion to check a case of mine on the system, which I had not done. (I have used the system numerous times before when working for the prosecutor's office and doing research on other things, but never on one of my cases.) The attorney's name is listed across from the client's at the top, and then after anything filed by an attorney, the attorney's last name is in parentheses.

I have to admit, when I saw both of these things, it made my day. Major moment of grace.




Archives
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com

Listed on BlogShares