Watch Me Take The Bar
Watch Me Take The Bar
This blog, originally started as a chronicle of my taking the bar, is now a look into the mind of an attorney in solo practice in Port Clinton, Ohio.
Sunday, February 12, 2006

Damn, I'm Good

Actually, I'm just a heckuva nerd.

But I finally found the answer to a question that's been bothering me for some time, quadrennially.
I like orchestral TV theme music.

(And, in unison, the people all asked, "And WHY doesn't he have a girlfriend?")

"The Mission" from NBC News is awesome.

Both NBC and CNN's election night themes are terrific.

And so on. And so on.

But there was a piece that kept eluding me. It was something NBC used in their Olympic coverage. No, it wasn't that kettle drum thing they play at the opening (I've always found that kind of obnoxious myself.) Rather, it's the music they play in promoting what they'll show tomorrow and is meant to inspire the Olympic spirit and the thought of determination. It's usually layered over some promo like:

"Tomorrow night, we'll feature American figure skating champ Mary Sunshine. She's battled cancer, menengitis, irritable bowel syndrome, chicken pox and a plague of locusts, and is dedicating this performance to her piano teacher's mother's roommate's ex-husband, who died three years ago today. But can she beat Chinese figureskater Trisha Taikwando? Lots of people are rooting for her, none more than her father, who the Chinese authorities say they will execute if she does not bring home the gold."

Anyway, the music under this is very inspiring and sweet at the same time, and I've always liked it, and, much to my eternal chagrin, have never been able to figure out what it was.

It wasn't "Summon the Heroes."

It wasn't "Call of the Champions."

It wasn't anything by John Williams.

Now, I don't know if you've ever searched for a piece of instrumental music on the Internet, but this is no mean feat. Whereas when you hear music on the radio, if you can catch and remember a few of the lyrics, you can usually find the song. No such luck with instrumental music. And they haven't come in with a hum-your-theme-in and we'll tell you what you're listening to search engine, either.

So, this morning, I searched and I searched and I searched, and somehow (don't ask how) I stumbled across the answer. Which I guess I would have had if I had watched more TV in high school.

Remember the show, "The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr."? (I did only in name, I never caught it.) It appears to have run for one season on Fox.

The theme song, however, lives on -- as the NBC heart-tugging, inspiration-building theme. And I found it here. (It's listed under Brisco County Jr.)

You don't know how delighted I am. I have wanted to find this song for EONS. And I'm rather proud I found it with no lyrics and just a few good search terms. (And yes, I know this makes me a complete nerd and cements my status as the answer whore for all time.)

Another one of life's little mysteries solved.




Archives
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com

Listed on BlogShares