Watch Me Take The Bar
Watch Me Take The Bar
This blog, originally started as a chronicle of my taking the bar, is now a look into the mind of an attorney in solo practice in Port Clinton, Ohio.
Thursday, July 07, 2005

Thoughts For A Post-7/28 World

A friend of mine sent me a link to Amazon today with a comment that "this looks like a good book." (This person did include the disclaimer she knew I wasn't going to get to it since my life looks more like a living hell right now...)

Well, indeed, it does look like a good book. Here are a list of other good books I look forward to reading once this madness ends:

  • McCarthy for President by Arthur Herzog
  • Hollywood Animal by Joe Eszterhas (I love Eszterhas' writing; if it's 25% as funny as American Rhapsody, I intend to laugh my bar woes away...)
  • Norman Rockwell by Laura Claridge (I received this for Christmas in 2002, but right around then had an experience that made thinking about people named Rockwell less than desirable. OK, that's not the exact truth, but my reasoning is very close to it. If you know what I'm talking about, you'll know what I'm talking about. If not, don't ask.)
  • The Survivor by John F. Harris. No, this isn't about a steamy reality show where people take off their clothes at a whim, stab each other in the back, and generally act in an appalling manner. It's just a book about the Clinton White House. Oh, wait...
  • Big Trouble: A Murder in a Small Town Sets Off a Struggle for the Soul of America by J. Anthony Lukacs. The dust jacket made it sound interesting, and I like Lukacs' writing. Then, when I got it home, I found out that once Lukacs finished writing it, he was so overwrought, he killed himself. Let's hope I don't feel that way after reading it. Or reading the bar results.
  • He Was A Midwestern Boy on His Own by Bob Greene. A friend of mine picked this up after I mentioned I loved Hang Time, Rebound and Fraternity. Bob Greene's writing has yet to disappoint me, so I'm really looking forward to reading this.
  • A Walk In The Woods by Bill Bryson: I love Bill Bryson anyway, but this book was recently commended to me for other reasons. And I can always use a good laugh.
  • My Day: The Best of Eleanor Roosevelt's Acclaimed Newspaper Columns, 1932-1936. Egads, I'd better read this. I got it as a graduation gift...when I graduated from college. Yeah. Where did the past three (or four?) years go?
  • Dot.Bomb by J. David Kuo: As with Big Trouble, I hope I am not reading this book at the time they publish the bar results.
  • Common Ground by J. Anthony Lukacs: After writing this book, J. Anthony Lukacs did not kill himself. We had to read about a third of it in college for my freshman poli-sci class, and I've always wanted to read the whole thing. (It's about integrating the schools in Boston after the 1971 desegregation decisions.)
  • What's The Matter With Kansas? How Conservatives Won The Heart of America by Thomas Frank: Yes, this has been the Bible of every Democrat for the past year, and Yours Faithfully has not gotten around to it. Cut me some slack, ok?
  • The Essential Franklin Deleano Roosevelt: Franklin Deleano Roosevelt was essential. 'Nuff said.
  • Great American Trials: I picked this up and thought it might be a superficial retelling of trials I already know about. It looks like it will be a relatively in-depth treatment of trials I know little about, as well as some I know a fair amount about.
  • The Secret Man by Bob Woodward: Deep Throat revealed!
  • The Rise And Fall of the Third Reich by William Shirer: I've had this since June, 2000 and started it. It's thick, and depressing, but well-written. And I'm going to finish it!
  • Spring Forward: The Annual Madness of Daylight Savings Time by Michael Downing: Even a friend who is a more devoted watcher of CSPAN than I started laughing when I expressed a desire to read this book. But I saw the author on CSPAN, and he was hilarious.

You know, on looking on that list, one might start to have theories on why Michael doesn't have more dates, LOL.

I have done a little reading for pleasure this summer, and am slowly plodding my way through Madam Secretary by Madeline Albright. Sadly, "slowly plodding" in bar parlance means, like, ten minutes a night or so.

And while I am making lists of books, here are some things I will NOT be reading after July 28:

  • Drills & Related Questions, a BarBri Publication
  • MPT Workbook, A BarBri Publication
  • The Outrageously Outsized Ohio Outlines by BarBri
  • The Mucho Magnificent Multistate Outlines by BarBri
  • Conviser Mini Review
  • PMBR Book 1, 2, 3, or 28
  • Ohio Essay Testing

Sadly, that is a list that will only be applicable after July 28. Right now, I am going to get familiar with Mr. Conviser and real property.




Archives
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com

Listed on BlogShares