Watch Me Take The Bar
Watch Me Take The Bar
This blog, originally started as a chronicle of my taking the bar, is now a look into the mind of an attorney in solo practice in Port Clinton, Ohio.
Friday, November 04, 2005

In Case You Were Wondering...

...how your blogger, now that he has passed the bar exam, is going to eat. (If you're really wondering, you could always click on the ads on this page. They're not here just for the fun of it, you know.)

I'm pleased to tell you that I have accepted a position with the law firm of Me, Myself & I.

The guy who interviewed me said I was the most brilliant interview he'd ever had. (Hey, after probably 200 interviews, I should have been pretty good at it!) They thought I was brilliant, and they'd be crazy not to have me on board.

OK, so, that's all a cute way of saying I'm going to hang a shingle. (Where in the hell did that phrase come from? I hate that phrase. I'm not a roofer, I'm a lawyer.)

So, here's how this all came about. I've never wanted to be a partner at a Big Law Firm, make what Laura would call "tons of mons," and have no life. I've always remembered the quote by one lawyer at a Big Law Firm..."Yeah, I have a BMW, which I use to drive me to work and from work." In addition, I need some flexibility in my schedule because of some political stuff I do (school board, et cetera) and wish to pursue.

So, all of that left me with going into private practice.

But that's supposed to be scary.

REEEEallly scary.

Like, don't eat scary.

So, I wasn't sure how all that would work out.

Then, I started doing this HR thing and I found I like it. I decided it could keep me at least fed and maybe in clothes while I work to build some clients. I could have an office to work out of at my condo.

OK, but now, the question became, where do I meet with clients? "Come over to my condo and let's discuss your divorce?" Something sounds sleazy.

Good news, though. My father has an office he uses away from the grocery store. He needs someone for help with his real estate pursuits (which wouldn't be bad for me to pick up on, either, since the man's a genius at real estate), and he hates paying lawyers. So, it's sort of a barter thing.

So, I've got a place to meet with clients. If you've ever seen me type, you know I don't need a secretary; and for those things I do need help with, I'm blessed to know several legal-secretarial-types who are always looking to pick up some extra cash.

I'm pretty clear on what I want to do, and this won't come as a surprise to you: work with victims of domestic violence. I believe the family court system does a terrible job of understanding domestic violence, and from what I've seen, many lawyers don't offer very good representation when it comes to these victims.

Because I'm interested in this, and because often financial resources keep battered women out of court, I'll work on having a pretty competitive fee structure for them.

I'm also going to be interested in doing work in the field of government and election law. I've worked with both.

Obviously, for a while, I'll do what I need to do to pay the bills, although those two things will be my focus.

I've had conversations in the past few days which have convinced me it's a viable plan. I won't have a ton of overhead. I will (hopefully) have some clients.

I'm very excited.




Archives
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com

Listed on BlogShares