Watch Me Take The Bar
Watch Me Take The Bar
This blog, originally started as a chronicle of my taking the bar, is now a look into the mind of an attorney in solo practice in Port Clinton, Ohio.
Sunday, November 06, 2005

The Price of Admission

So, while visiting Obsessive Law Student's blog today, she mentioned what I think I knew but had forgotten (repressed?) There's a $300 attorney registration fee the Supreme Court gets from new lawyers. The good news is that gets us registered for the next two years, at which time, we get to pay another one.

OLS then helpfully breaks down the costs associated with taking the bar exam, from the Great Probing Inquisition -- er, I meant Character & Fitness -- to the Attorney Registration Fee, and they even out to $910. Plus, if you didn't live in Columbus, you probably had to take a hotel room.

It's probably best not to think about it. Thank heavens it didn't cost us anything to get our law degrees.

In the meantime, it's starting to hit me that in about 31 hours, I'll be an attorney. That's quite exciting. And a little scary.

Making sure all my i's are dotted and t's crossed, et cetera.

All right -- busy day ahead. Need to put finishing touches on my podcast, go into work for a few hours to get ahead for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday's podcast, and tonight, go to the world's greatest political fundraiser.

In fact, let me tell you about it.

It's for a fellow named Peter Ujvagi. (The j is silent.) Peter is a member of the Ohio House of Representatives, and on the Sunday night before every election, primary and general, he has a fundraiser in a church basement.

Now, you think of a fundraiser in a church basement, you think a few tables, maybe 40, 50 people, right?

No, this is St. Stephen's Church in East Toledo, a beautiful old Catholic church with a CAVERNOUS basement.

Most anyone who is a Democrat in Toledo is there. Quite frequently, it draws statewide and nationally-known folks. Lots of press coverage.

I get the feeling it's what old-time political rallies were like.

But, while I go to support a good cause, I keep going back for another reason.

The food.

Now, believe me, I've gone to enough fundraisers and eaten enough rubber chicken and cocktail wieners that I understand the words "political fundraiser" and "mmmmmmm" rarely, if ever, go in the same sentence. That's because catering isn't cheap.

Well, the ladies of St. Stephen's aren't caterers. They are food artists. Think chicken paprikash, cabbage rolls, and -- I think -- dumplings. There's also bread and desert involved, although I usually don't get around to those.

Politics and good food. What could be better?

(And then I'll be home by 8:00 for the live "West Wing" special.)




Archives
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com

Listed on BlogShares