Watch Me Take The Bar
Watch Me Take The Bar
This blog, originally started as a chronicle of my taking the bar, is now a look into the mind of an attorney in solo practice in Port Clinton, Ohio.
Saturday, November 05, 2005

for those who don't buy the arguments about income disparity

I had on CNBC last night when I came home from work. (Yesterday was an incredibly busy day at work which did not end until about 6:30. I was so pooped I was asleep at 9:15.)

Anywho, I was having a snack, which turned out to be more like dinner because I hadn't eaten yet, and watching CNBC.

The first segment I caught were people arguing about the economy and what will happen to it because there is so much consumer debt and with heating prices going up so drastically, they thought it might take a huge chunk out of the economy.

Without a commercial break or anything, they turned to the next segment.

It appears it's going to be a good year for those selling superluxury items.

And I mean, superduperluxury items.

$100 million yachts are all the rage. Got yours?

Stuff on that order.

And, the thing to do, apparently, for the $100 million-yacht crowd, is to make sure you buy something very few people have.

Because, after all, now just anyone can own a Gucci or one of those other items that "used" to be a luxury item. (Really?, he said skeptically.) Now, how can we tell them that have from them that have not, if some poor schmoe who's only pulling down fifty or a hundred g's is able to own Gucci.

Clearly, the hoi polloi are at the gates.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not sitting here arguing we need a redistribution of wealth or anything like that. If you have gone through life and made good choices and been successful and are to the point that you can own a $100 million yacht, good for you.

But I find it very jarring that we are at the point where this is a big enough sector of our economy it warrants time on an economic channel to discuss how this will impact the economy, right after we talk about how a lot of people won't be able to pay their heating bills.

It just was...disturbing, to my mind.




Archives
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com

Listed on BlogShares