Watch Me Take The Bar
Watch Me Take The Bar
This blog, originally started as a chronicle of my taking the bar, is now a look into the mind of an attorney in solo practice in Port Clinton, Ohio.
Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Snippets

Ladies and Gentlemen, This Is My Life

In case you're wondering whether I deserve sypmathy, I submit this question, which is of the type I'm contending with:

Blackacre and Whiteacre are adjoining tracts of land located in Fillmore County. In 1988, Bix purchased Blackacre, a 10-acre tract, in fee simple absolute. Whiteacre, a 20-acre tract situated to the north of Blackacre, was owned by Wing, in fee simple absolute. Cobb, a remote predecessor of Bix, had granted to Zorn, a way for egress and ingress across Blackacre under such terms and circumstances that an easement appurtenant to Whiteacre was created. This right-of-way was executed by deed and properly recorded. Zorn, however, never made any actual use of the right-of-way.

In 2002, Wing conveyed Whiteacre to Bix. The next year, Bix conveyed Whiteacre by deed to Dowd for a consideration of $250,000, receipt of which was acknowledged. Neither the Wing-Bix deed nor the Bix-Dowd deed contained any reference to the easement for right of way. Dowd has now claime dthat she has a right-of-way across Blackacre. Bix, on the other hand, has informed Dowd that no such easement exists.

Assume for the purpose of this question only that both Blackacre and Whiteacre abut a public highway and that ingress and egres are afforded Dowd by that hgihway. In an appropriate action by Dowd to determine er right to use the right of way across Blackacre, she should...

The frightening thing is, I got both questions related to this fact pattern right...

********

Want To Dine With Me? Prepare To Contend With An Email Like This

A few weeks ago, a friend and I made tentative plans to have dinner at Ciao!, one of our favorite restaraunts which is just up the road from where I live (and won't live after July 31), sometime in mid-July. So, my friend wrote me yesterday, politely suggesting if I wanted to, we could make plans for Ciao!. I replied thus:

The great Winston Churchill once said:

"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."

In that same vein, this bar candidate is prepared to dine with you at Ciao!. Whether you are prepared for the great ordeal of dining with a bar candidate at Ciao! is another matter.

No, seriously, I'm not that bad. OK, I'm kind of bad. I went to a wedding this weekend and it was sort of the first time I'd been around lots of nonstressed people for a while, and it was a novel experience. Michelle, a friend of mine from HS, found great amusement in it.

But I expect a diversion would be good. Don't expect to spend too much time at my apartment though, or get much past the front door; if you saw the state it is in, I am convinced you would fall to the floor weeping and wailing, and I shall not have time to correct this, I don't expect. I will, however, shave. I try to do that occasionally, if only so I don't completely forget how to once I pass the bar and get a job. (See, that's optimism right there.)






Archives
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com

Listed on BlogShares